This borough comprises the warantee tracts of Thomas and Benjamin Bell, Herrington, Robert Dana, Sarah Dana, Eliza Rought, William Rowle, R. Lewis, Daniel Lewis and Sternheimer.

Prior to 1848 Judge L.S. Watres, now of Scranton, had a saw-mill at Winton, which was then known as Mount Vernon.

The land in the borough is now owned by coal and railway companies, the Erie Railway, Pierce Mining Company, W.W. Winton and Filer & Livy being the principal owners. The borough contains two small hamlets: Jessup, in the southern part, on the site of the Jessup colliery, is occupied by miners’ families. A number of low saloons, a hotel opened in 188 by W.R. Burke, and a small grocery store comprise its business interests.

Winton contains the colliery store of Filer & Livy and the office and breaker of the Pierce Coal Company and three school-houses, and had 905 inhabitants in 1880.

The borough was incorporated in 1877, the first burgess being W.J. Burke, who served for two years; for justices, Henry T. Howell and James F. Loftus were elected.

The officers for 1880 were: Burgess, P.F. McAndrew; councilmen, J.F. Loftus, James Ward, Michael Howard, Martin Lynch, Martin Walsh, Michael Sweeney; school directors, W.H. O’Connor, W.J. Burke, John Ward, John Walsh, J.E. McDermott, Thomas Gallagher.

Mining History

In the year 1855 Judge Jessup, Michael Meylert, H.S. Pierce, Samuel Meredith and others, under the corporate title of the Lackawanna Railroad Company, commenced building a railroad from Dunmore to Jessup and established extensive coal works and railroad shops. A shaft was sunk by Andrew Nicol, and the shipment of coal commenced in 1857. The enterprise proved a disastrous failure and the financial ruin of several of the proprietors, and caused great loss to creditors, including small tradesmen and employees of the company. The lands have since passed into the hands of the Erie Railway Company. The village built up by the excitement has become an unimportant hamlet.

The Livy breaker, erected in 1880, will employ several hundred men and boys, and bids fair to restore the lost prestige of Jessup.

The Pierce Coal Company’s Breaker was erected by Filer & Livy in 1872, at a cost of about $50,000, and sold to its present owners in 1877 for $22,000, the purchase including eighteen acres. The coal is mined from drifts in Archbald some two miles north of the breaker, the mine being connected with it by a railroad. The workings extend about a mile and a half from the opening, and one shaft has been sunk ninety two feet. The vein worked is the Archbald, nine feet thick. The total number of men and boys employed is 237. Two mine locomotives are in use, and one breaker and two pair of hoisting engines. The capacity of the breaker is 800 tons daily; average production about 500 tons. Operations were commenced in December, 1877, and to January 1st 1880, the total shipments were 170,000 tons. The company bought eleven hundred acres from the heirs of Charles Wirtz, of Philadelphia. It has invested about $90,000 in lands, workings and working plant. The office of the company is at Archbald. Its incorporators were Edward Jones, J. Hosie, H.B. Phelps and H.S. Phelps.

The Filer Breaker — This colliery, on the Elizabeth Rought tract, was erected in 1874. The first coal was shipped in May, 1875. George Filer and Thomas Livy were the builders and are the owners. When working to full capacity about 500 men and boys are employed. The capacity of the breaker is 800 tons daily; production about 600. Five pumps are worked in the mines and three pairs of stationary engines. The veins worked are the Archbald, with an average depth of seven feet, and the Grassy Island, averaging twelve feet. Workings extend through portions of the Jessup tract, owned by the firm; the Bell tract owned by the Hillside Coal Company; the Rought tract, owned by Winton & Dolf, and the Dana tract, owned by W.W. Winton and others. The firm has thirty-five tenant houses and a large store for supplying its men. The outside foreman is F.K. Taylor, the inside foreman R.D. Roberts.

The Lackawanna Paint Works

This establishment was founded by Morton, Stevens & Co., in September, 1878, for making mineral paints from a vein on the David Brown tract. The present proprietors are Morton & Swift. The paints made are umber and sienna, burned and raw. The firm controls the only veins of the kind in this part of the State and makes a staple article cheaply and under very favorable circumstances.

Source: 

History of Luzerne, Lackawanna, and Wyoming Counties, Pa: 

With Illustrations and Biographical Sketches of Some of Their Prominent Men and Pioneers (Google eBook

Advertisements